If you are a pro basketball player or a diehard fan of basketball then you must always be very much passionate about each and everything about it without having any concern whether it is about the rules, uniform, players, and the accessories required to play basketball or any other additional things.
Being a pro lover of basketball I have been playing basketball for a long time and since then not only many people but I also asked to myself can we play basketball with gloves, if yes why do basketball players wear gloves, but it was a long time ago and now we have got the answers to all these questions and to get you out of your curiosity in this article we are presenting you with the information that will help you get the answer to these question, especially the one why do basketball players wear gloves
Basketball can be played with the gloves on as long as they are made up of pure material and are so designed to provide with no additional help for a better grip and extra reach benefits as such benefits are unfair benefits over the other players. And if you have decided to play one while playing basketball then you must not forget to get them inspected first by the officials before wearing them for the game. Ultimately the officials are there to decide whether the gloves you chose are appropriate or not.
Is it legal to use basketball gloves?
In the past NBA players have been using gloves and NBA did not put any serious offense charges on the ones wearing basketball gloves. But as mentioned above the officials are there to decide whether the gloves are apt or not. Here in this section, we will be looking at some of the fundamental rules set by the officials for choosing gloves for basketball. Let us just have a look at some of the fundamental rules set by the officials for choosing gloves for basketball are:
Rules for the selection of the gloves for the basketballs
- Any guard or brace, in the present case gloves, made of unyielding and hard material are not allowed
- Anything such as foreman guards, finger, hand, or wrist braces made of metal, plaster, or fiberglass is not allowed until unless fully covered with slow rebounding foam
- To ensure immobility and protect against any injury flexible material can be used with an exterior covering having a thickness not less than 1/2 inches
Hence from the above-given discussion, it can be safely concluded that gloves are allowed in basketball but before wearing they are to be tested by the official for use.
Why Would You Wear Gloves for Basketball? Does Anyone Wear Gloves to Play Basketball?
As we all know that gloves have been an important part of most of the games existing in the world to the present date, but when it comes about basketball, like many people, it might get a bit strange for you too as not many people use gloves while playing basketball. Well, in this section of the article I will present you with plenty of reasons explaining why to wear gloves while playing basketball
- Keep Your Hands Warm: in the winter season most of the basketball players hide in their homes as playing basketball gets miserable especially outside as you are at continuous exposure to cold. But wait! Here comes the role of baseball gloves they Keep Your Hands Warm
- Improve Basketball Skills: they help improve ball dribbling and handling leading to more efficient performance
- Helps You Play Safer: while playing basketball or any other game the protection from any injury is primal and basketball gloves not only help you keep your hands safe but are also good for your hand if it is already a bit injured while playing
Hence the above discussion concludes that gloves are allowed in basketball. they offer plenty of benefits but before wearing they are to be tested by the official for use. Now if you want your skills to improve and stay warm basketball gloves are there for you. Tim Duncan was one of the few players who first started wearing gloves for basketball and after him now we find multiple players wearing basketball gloves
Why Do some of the Players Choose Not to Wear Gloves?
Most of the players do not prefer wearing gloves as they think it is impractical. They presume that gloves interfere with their game and decrease their efficiency. Some common misconceptions about basketball gloves are:
- The hands don’t feel good when you are wearing gloves
- They may affect your ball grip while playing
- People with a traditional mindset think that they are unlikely to play
How Effective Can Basketball Gloves Be?
Gloves can prove very effective for a basketball player but only if the player while his training incorporates the glove in his playing techniques. Treating the gloves as an extension of the player`s body gives the player an advantage over the competing player. They come with added grip and extra padding for better play and safety
Some tactics require players to accept long passes. Gloves with added grip might help to get more security and possess the ball for a bit long. They also offer great protection if the player falls on the hard wooden ground reducing the risk of any severe injury. Some players are also of the opinion that gloves save you from illness as they protect the body from spreading sweat and germs resulting in a better gameplay
Conclusion : Can you play basketball with gloves?
The above-given information clearly concludes that gloves are acceptable in basketball but before wearing they are to be verified by the authorized body for use to ensure the credibility of the game. In case you are desperate about improving your skills and stay warm during your game then basketball gloves are there for you.